This 3-week course is designed for middle grade teachers to draw out high level algebraic thinking from their students. The focus is on teacher practices utilizing 6th and 7th grade Expressions and Equations Standards as a vehicle to improve algebraic thinking of students and teacher pedagogy. Specific goals include the following:
- Define algebraic thinking and reasoning through the “Habits of Mind” framework.
- Evaluate the way teachers talk to and question students about expressions, equations, and inequalities.
- Develop an understanding of Expression and Equation Standards and the Eight Mathematical Practices through engaging math problems.
- Apply the aspects of algebra to STEM and real-world problem solving lessons.
- This module runs from March 19th to April 6th
- 15 renewal units
- Enrollment is open from Feb 26th - March 19th or until the course is full.
- To join: click on the course name, then the enroll me button