This three-week module will expand your vision of what it takes to develop conceptual understanding of linear measurement, perimeter, area, and volume. You will determine linear measurements of shapes, cover surfaces with square units to find area, and fill spaces to measure volume. You will delve into the relationships and structures of area, perimeter, and volume through counting, cutting, reshaping, and comparing. Specific goals and activities include the following:
- Develop a mini-progression for learning a concept related to perimeter, area, and/or volume in grades K-5.
- Read about conceptually taught lessons, identify learning progressions within the lessons, and diagnose student misconceptions.
- Analyze and employ Math Talk as a tool for developing conceptual understanding.
- Solve, share, and defend solutions for perimeter, area, and volume problems.
|Note: This is a 3 week semi-facilitated course, meaning each section will be time released and you will interact with others taking the course at the same time but there will not be a live facilitator.|
- This course runs from March 19, 2018 - April 6, 2018
- Enrollment is open from Feb 26th - March 19th or until the course is full.
- 15 OPI renewal units
- To enroll, click on the course name then "Enroll me" button
- Developed by the STREAM Team